Law Library Resources
These pages are a great place to start for internet legal research. I find that sites by law school librarians get to the point, are well maintained, and are less distracting than most commercial sites.
- Legal Research on the Web at Duke Law School.
- Free Law Online/Internet Letal Resources at University of Washington Gallagher Law Library.
- Free and Low Cost Resources for Legal Research at Pace Law Library
- The Virtual Chase at Justia.com.
- Legal Research on the Web at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Free Legal Research Sites at George Mason School of Law
- Free and Low Cost Legal Research Guide at Georgetown Law Library
Sites to Watch
Court Listener is an interesting project. It describes its mission: “We collect legal opinions from court websites and from data donations, and are aiming to have the best, most complete data on the open Web within the next couple years. We are slowly expanding to provide search and awareness tools for as many state courts as possible, and we already have tools for all of the Federal Appeals Courts.”
- As of January 2014, this site is not ready for prime time. For example, it has only 80 Ohio state cases, all of them from 1951!
- As of January 2015, there are now 21,128 Ohio cases available — a noticeable improvement.